Spicy Grilled Veggies Pasta
If you have a garden or get carried away at the farmer market or produce department – chances are you have a lot of veggies on your counter or (maybe and) in your fridge. Way too many Eggplant. A bunch of peppers. Maybe zucchini too. Oh, and all those fresh Chili Peppers. Uhhh… hmmm. What to do? Grilling provides a solution and pasta seals the deal. Time for Spicy Grilled Veggie Pasta! This is a dish that does not need to be precise. Three components are the foundation: grilled vegetables of any kind, some heat, some fresh tomatoes and herbs, and some pasta. Here’s how I usually make it.
This recipe works great with a variety of affordable local veggies on sale in August. It’s also a delicious way of using up extra garden or CSA bounty. Feel free to mix or match based on what you have. The hot peppers make it spicy, the grilling makes it smoky, the raw tomatoes and herbs cool your and add fresh flavor to the pasta.
- Wash and Prep the following ingredients for grilling:
- 1 Eggplant, sliced into 1/2″ thick cuts
- 3 Green and 3 Yellow Zucchini, sliced on the bias into ½” thick rounds
- 2 Red Bell Peppers, cored and cut into length-wise into 1 to 2″ wide strips
- 2 Sweet Mini Peppers, seeded and halved length-wise
- 3 jumbo cloves of peeled garlic, whole (optional, don’t let them fall through the grill grates)
- 2 Jalapeno and 2 Serrano Peppers, whole (or use other chili peppers for your spiciness preference)
- Toss above veggies in 2-3 tbsp olive oil in a large mixing bowl
- Re-toss with favorite grill seasoning – I used Penzy’s Galena Street Rub (coarse salt, black pepper and garlic powder could be used instead)
- Grill over high heat until veggies have nice grill-marks – about 3-4 min. per side
- Place grilled veggies in bowl
Note: If using Chili Peppers, de-skin once grilled wearing plastic gloves or with paper towel; and de-seed with knife and tongs. Pasta
- Boil 1 box Rigatoni Pasta until al dente – about 12 min. while veggies are grilling
- Drain water and return to large pot
- Slice two large Tomatoes into bite-wedges (I often use Heirlooms)
- Chop 6-9 leaves of fresh Basil (Parsley could be added too)
- ½ cup Parmesan Cheese
- Stir grilled veggies into pasta
- Stir in Parmesan Cheese
- Stir in fresh Tomatoes and Basil
*If you choose not grill your own chili peppers, simply add crushed red pepper to taste when doing the final blend.