Organic Green Seedless Grapes
Forget the artificial fruit snacks. Give your family (and yourself) the ultimate REAL FRUIT SNACK for back to school: fresh, in-season grapes! It’s like eating candy… only its natural, full of fiber and antioxidants and micronutrients that are good for you. Organic Green and Red Seedless Grapes from California, which I’ve recommended already a few times this summer on this site, continue to be in season and tasting great! This is the time of year when the flavor, price and availability factors all align well. Enjoy some soon while the crop is at its best and stores promoting this clean fruit at reasonable prices!
Here’s what to expect with Green Seedless Grapes in the organic produce section during early September:
Sugarone Green Seedless Grapes are a common variety that is available but wrapping up during August. Sugarones are more round than long with pleasingly sweetness and a mild pop when you bite.
New premium varieties are coming to the marketplace with great flavor and texture: Pristine, Timpson, Stella Bella and Autumncrisp are big and elongated grapes with light, bright green color, excellent crispness and vibrant sweetness.
Avoid bags that are wet and sticky – a sign that some of the Grapes are going bad – or have berries with splits, cracks or dark brown sunken areas.
- Select Grapes that feel firm to a gentle squeeze. Lift up the bag or container and look at it from all sides.
- Look for Grapes with stems that are still green at the thickest parts and appear to still have life in them.
- Choose packs that have most of the berries still on the vine.
- Avoid bags that are wet and sticky – a sign that some of the Grapes are going bad – or have berries with splits, cracks or dark brown sunken areas.
- Keep your Grapes refrigerated until you’re about ready to eat them, since they lose their crunch much quicker at room temperature.
- Wash Grapes with a cold water rinse just before serving them.
- Frozen Grapes. Wash, remove from the stem, then freeze the fresh Grapes for snack your school-age kids (and you) will love to chill out with.
- Candied Grapes. Turn your Grapes into a version of Sour Patch Kids!